You want to make your own place value unit that uses hands-on interesting activities, but who has time to go through the whole internet finding the best ones. This list is your time saver. See the best activities and products to help make learning enjoyable for you and your family.
This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy for more information. Thank you for supporting the work of this blog!
DIY Place Value Tools
Place Value Tools
No time for diy? No problem. Pick one or more of the following products.
- Place Value Disks–I recommend these for students 2nd grade and up
- Giant Magnetic Base Ten–Perfect for white boards or refrigerators
- Counting Pocket chart
- Place Value Dice
- No longer available Try Place Value Cards
- Flip Stand Book
- Cuisenaire Rods
- Hundreds Board
Printable Visuals and Posters
20 things to do with numbers–scroll all the way to the bottom for the printable
Place Value Chart–Page size for student reference
Place Value Posters–Super cute!
Place Value Number Posters–numbers 1-20
- Right-Brained Place Value–Have a creative child you need to teach math to? Try this out. Uses stories and patterns to help creative students master place value.
- Creative Teaching Press Mini Bulletin Board Set, Place Value: Decimals to Millions
- Creative Teaching Press Place Value Mini Bulletin Board, Gr. K-2
- Learning Palette: Level Two Math Place Value
- Elementary Math: Place Value, Classroom Poster
- Carson Dellosa Place Value Stickers
- Learning Resources Write and Wipe Place Value Answer Boards
- Scholastic Classroom Resources Place Value System Bulletin Board
Lessons, Explanations, and Assessments
YouTube Videos for Adults
Teachers TV: Teaching Place Value–fascinating video. As a plus everyone has a British accent 🙂
YouTube Videos for Children
Place Value “Problems” Ariana Grande Parody–Lot’s of fun
Games and Apps
- Junior Learning Different Mathematics Games (Set of 6)
- Place Value Safari
- Digit Detective Game
- Learning Resources Dino Math Tracks Game
- Place Value Bingo Game
- Kids Math Place Value–app
- Place value for the 2nd grade–app
- ZMath Grade 3 Number Sense
Witchs Brew Place Value Game–Can you get all of the ingredients before the sun comes up? Practice reading, writing and comparing numbers (Easily level from single digit to as high as you want)
Place Value Cards–Games included
Activities or Centers
Halloween Flashcards–Shows number 1-10 in 3 ways on one card. Plus instructions on ways to use them.
Halloween Number Match–Match the numbers 1-20. Download has 4 ways to look at each number and instructions on a single person or multiperson game.
Place Value Ice Cream Sundae Activity–Adorable!
- Spaghetti And Meatballs For All!
- Penguin Place Value: A Math Adventure
- On Beyond a Million: An Amazing Math Journey
- Sir Cumference and All the King’s Tens: A Math Adventure
- A Place for Zero
- Place Value
- Olivia’s Ocean Adventure: Understand Place Value
- Earth Day–Hooray!
The above lists are just the ones my library carried so that I could check them out before recommending them. To see more books check out these two lists:
Want even more?
Hopefully I saved you some time. If you enjoyed this list, please share with others.
If you didn’t find what you were looking for, you might try my pinterest page devoted to place value.